How to Catch Lizards
By Jack, Nature & Games Contributor/TGS Kids’ Cavern
Lizards: It is helpful if you have a guide like the Audubon Society’s Field Guide to Reptiles & Amphibians.
The easiest way to catch lizards is to:
- Sneak up closely with a net.
- Quietly put your net above the lizard.
- Then slam it down…fast!
- Gently grab the lizard inside the net and never by the tail.
- Place the lizard inside a container so you can look at it closely to learn more about it.
- Anoles: To tell if you have caught a male or female, carefully look at neck. If you see a little lap or fold of skin, gently pull it and if something is red underneath, it is a male. If not, it is a female.
- Broad-Headed Skink: It is a male if it has a big, red head.
- Fence Lizards: Males have blue neck on the underside.
- Once you have had fun checking out the lizard, let him go. Remember Catch-Keep-Release!
What else do you want to catch…