Cinnamon can be a healing spice for fall and winter, as well as to capture the essence of the season and holiday bounty that is soon to come:
- Stove Top Potpourri: Sprinkle a teaspoon or so in a pot of boiling apple cider and let simmer for the day. As the liquid boils down, refill with water or more cider. Part of the fun is grabbing a jug of cider from a roadside stand or farmer’s market.
- Cinnamon Toast: Spread a little butter on a slice of whole wheat bread and sprinkle with a pinch of sugar and cinnamon. Broil in the oven for just a couple of minutes until golden brown. The kids love this little treat on those hard to wake up mornings!
- Homemade Holiday Ornament: Simple to make, take three or four sticks of cinnamon and tie with a festive ribbon and add/glue on tiny pine cones, a fresh sprig of holly or some other decorative topper if you like. Tie a small piece of string around the bow or use a hook for the hanger. An aromatic gift to offer by itself or to adorn a package. Easy and fun for the kids too.
- Energizer: With all this cooking, shopping, planning and giving that is right around the corner, skip the extra caffeine and try this remedy that is said to help with fatigue. Sprinkle cinnamon powder in a glass of water and add half teaspoon of honey. Drink in the morning and again at 3:00 pm – just in time for when the kids get home and you have to start all over again for another eight hours, or when that intense 3:30 meeting or presentation is about to begin! This bewitching hour is also the time of day when the body is at its lowest point in terms of energy and vitality. After a few days or so, you may feel a difference.
- Cinnamon Tea: To soothe an upset stomach, relieve congestion and a cold or to just warm up and enjoy, cinnamon tea can do it all. While there are lots of brands on the market, it’s easy to make. Break up a cinnamon stick in small pieces, add to a cup and let steep in boiling water for about ten minutes.
Cinnamon can also freshen the breath and can help with a toothache as well, plus there are many other health benefits. How do you fall into cinnamon to spice up your home and health? What works for you?Pin It