Here are a five quick energy saving ideas to keep your cool with energy bills during these last few hot months of summer.
- Turn up the thermostat a degree or two when out of the house for an extended period of time or even just throughout the school day when no one is home. Consider installing a programmable thermostat so you can schedule accordingly.
- Turn the lights off and other appliances or gadgets that may create heat when not in actual use.
- Draw curtains and pull shades to keep the hot sun out, especially in rooms when no one is using.
- Check your around your doors and windows again and consider using a plastic film to help keep the hot air from entering.
- Visit Rodale.com for some creative ways to keep yourself cool like creating a “swamp cooler” if you live in a very dry area or a super cool breeze for more humid parts of the country. And while you are at it, hydrate with a nice piece of fresh, chilled fruit like watermelon to take the edge off.
Cooler weather will be here soon enough!